Thursday, May 28, 2009

Graduation

When I graduated from high school, I was so scared. I wanted to go back in time to be in elementary school again. Now it is Colorado's turn! I'm so proud of him!

Colorado has had kind of a hard time. His mom raised him pretty much by her self until he was ten. She married his step dad and they fought quite a bit. He ended up living with a few different aunts before he was sent to Texas to live with his grandma. Since he has been here he raised his GPA from a 0.7 to almost a 3.0! His step dad used to tell him that he would never graduate and now he is! Next year he will come to the community college that I go to. I'm so proud of him!!!

Colorado takes better care of me than I could ever take care of him. He is 2 and a half years younger than I am but he acts as though he is older than I am. When I met him, he was a trouble maker and I was a trouble maker in disguise. Since then he has grown up, become a man and he has taught me to be myself. That it doesn't matter what my mom thinks of me, what my teachers or friends think of me. All that matters is what I think of me. And I taught him the same thing. He told me all kinds of things when he met me. He lied about quite a bit, some of it so I would like him more, and some so I would like him less. Since then, we started over. He told me he never wants to feel like he has to lie again. I haven't spent more than 12 hours away from him in over a year. Almost. Last summer we took a road trip to Denver to meet him family, my dad told me that it would make or break us. That was the funnest vacation I've ever been on.

Colorado told me that he did not want to graduate. He was ready to never have to go to school again, but at the same time, something in him would be missing. Once you graduate from high school, you loose that part of yourself. You can never go back. Stockholm Syndrome I call it. Eventually you loose that feeling. At least I hope you do. I feel it sometimes still. High school never ends though.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Congratulations, Colorado! This is a big step, and you can be proud of yourself, just as Aubree is! I wish you a happy future, and lots of success. If you believe in your own qualities, and are true to yourself, your life will hold miracles for you! Aubree was the first.

GrizzBabe said...

Congratulations to you and Colorado!

bulletholes said...

did I tell you that?
i thought it would break you.
I did.
i figured that since Laura and I couldn't get through dinner without having a knock down drag out, that a 10 day road trip ought to abiout do it for ya'll.
I was wrong, and i am beginning to think you guys must have something pretty darn special.

A toast to my little birds!

Waterbaby said...

Angela, I try to tell him that every day!

Grizz, Thank you!

Dad, I know you did. I'm so glad we have made it this far!

Barbara said...

I love the way you both help each other. I would put my money on this relationship!

High school graduation is just the beginning. I see you both walking down the aisle graduating from college too.