Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My speech today

Today I had my first speech in my, well, speech class. We have been talking about how communication works and how to avoid disagreements and to solve things rationally without fighting about it. I suck at this. I think about what I'm saying and how it will be perceived by the person I'm saying it to and somewhere along the way "shared meaning" is not achieved. I stopped writing and talking as much when we were going through that section of the class. So I have decided that studying the way I talk is nothing if not detrimental to my speaking habits. I will not be taking anymore speech classes after this. Not my thing.

So today I go in to class, all dressed up and nervous about my speech. I am thinking of all the different ways I can explain to my classmates "How Yoga is Beneficial to Students of all Athletic Abilities" (an informative speech). I show up to class almost 10 minutes late (my teacher comes in shortly after I do) and have forgotten my evaluation sheet. As we are getting organized my neighbor has an extra (YAY!) so I give my outline and evaluation sheet to my teacher and put my name at the bottom of the list of presenters. Mrs. PhD, my teacher, is in a particularly bad mood today. I am scared out of my mind. Mrs. PhD decides that we need to practice speaking so that the first time we are up in front of everyone is not when we are being graded. I'm first. I get up to the front and my heart drops into my stomach.

I completely forget what I am supposed to say. I cannot remember what my speech is even about.

I sit back down and wait until it's my turn to melt under the pressure of the spotlight.
Lucky me, we ran out of time.
Darn now I have to go through the whole thing all over again.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

You should take speech from your dad instead. He's never at a loss for words. And I'll bet you would get an A!

bulletholes said...

Aw, baby! i can't believe you have played your flute for tens of thousands of people, been to Grand Nationals, all while you are marching with your back straight and your little toes pointed straight up, in perfect formation, and now you are frightened of standing up in front of 30 little ol people and talking a few minutes about Yoga!
And with a mother like yours, who could t-t-talk the e-e-ears off-f-f a w-w-wooden indian!
Did you practise?
Or were you trying to wing it?

Oh, my word verification is 'whoops"

Waterbaby said...

ha ha thats so silly dad (WHOOPS) No, I didnt try to wing it, I practiced alot!!

Barabara, If I could take a class from my dad that would count as a credit, I would rather take a class like gardening or cooking or something, maybe golf. Didnt daddy used to play golf?

bulletholes said...

You don't really want to golf. Its a horrible disease, its an addiction, its a bad habit and once you get it on your back its hell to pay to get it off.
And the clothes! my god!
All broke out in Plaid and Polo Shirts and white belts & Shoes! And if you want to know what hell is just sit and listen to a couple CEO's sit around drinkin' bourbon talking about their golf game...

GEWELS said...

Well, most of us are less afraid of death than public speaking- me included.

It'll be good for you though and I'm sure you'll ace it!