Monday, February 9, 2009

Listen!!

I heard about peotry day after the fact and wanted to post something, but I couldnt think of a poem that i knew that would be good enough for me to post and really think about it. I found this in my Fundamentals of Speech book. I love it.

When I ask you to listen to me and you start giving advice,
you have not dont what I asked.
When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me why I shouldn't feel that way,
you are trampling on my feelings.
When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do something to solve my problems,
you have failed me, strange as that may seem.
Listen!
All I asked was that you listen.
Not talk or do-just hear me.
Advice is cheap:50 cents will get you both Dear Abby and Billy Graham in the same newspaper.
And I can do for myself;
I'm not helpless.
Maybe discouraged and faltering,
but not helpless.
When you do somethign for me that I can and need to do for myself,
you contribute to my fear and weakness.
But when you accept as a simple fact that I do feel what I feel,
no matter how irrational,
then I quit trying to convince you and can get about the business of
understanding what's behind this irrational feeling.
And when that's clear, the answers are obvious and I don't need advice.
Irrational feelings make sence when we understand what's behind them.
Perhaps that's why prayer works, sometimes, for some people,
because God is mute, and doesn't give advice or try to fix things.
God just listens and lets you work iit out for yourself.
So, please listen and just hear me, and, if you want to talk,
wait a minute for your turn; and I'll listen to
you.

I'm not sure if this peom is about God, or the opposite, but I like it.

12 comments:

GEWELS said...

I like it too.

I may have to forward this to my husband. They can always use a reminder.

GEWELS said...

I meant "he can always use a reminder".
I only have one husband at the moment :)

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Lovely!
Came from Bulletholes' blog where he proudly announces your birthday.
Happy Birthday! And may you find happiness and success in all you do! Petra :))

GEWELS said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!

Shall we buy you some new tack for Brandi?

red dirt girl said...

Happy Birthday Aubree.

I'm real proud to see my mulette friend all growed up and all ... brings a tear to my long lashed mulish eye, it does!

Plus I owe you for the year long happy birthday wishes, sweetheart. Good to 'read' you up and running again. Still the same sensitive, thinking woman you've become.

WoooooHooooo!!!! you GO girl.

love and hugs,
red dirt mule (aka rdg...!!)

soubriquet said...

Happy Birthday from England, Aubree!

I need to learn the thoughts expressed in that post. Sometimes I don't listen as well as I should. I'm a man, we always get confused about emotions and rush around trying to fix things, when maybe we should just stand still, and quiet, and LISTEN.

Ha! I just read Gewels' second comment!
Maybe he's in two minds about it.

Have a great day, and don't forget to give your your dad a kiss, he deserves it.

GrizzBabe said...

Happy Birthday, Water Baby!!! I hope your loved ones made it a good one.

e said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope it was wonderful.

kissyface said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, pretty girl! I mean, Woman. Here's to the new year, may it bring you the best of everything you dream of.

Angela said...

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Aubree! Dein Dad und ich kennen uns aus dem Blogland. Er ist unglaublich stolz auf Dich! Ich wünsche Dir ein schönes Leben, und sprich weiter mit Gott. Er hört schon zu!
Cheers from Germany!

Mother of Invention said...

Happy Birthday, Aubree! You have all kinds of exciting things happening in your life right now and a whole lot of happiness to look forward to...Enjoy evert minute.
Still wish I'd had a chance to meet you when I breezed through Dallas in nSept.!!!

Waterbaby said...

gewels, I wish! brandi isn't trained, so even if I had tack, I wouldnt be able to ride her!

Petra, thank you for visiting and thank you for the birthday wishes!

red dirt mule, it's good to hear from you as well, and thank you for the birthday wishes :)

soubriquet, I think most of us feel that way, we all need to learn how to slow down in this fast paced world of ours and just listen. I did, and I even went out to lunch with him!

grizzbabe, thank you, It was an awesome day until the realization that I was no longer a teenager hit me. It's wierd to think that I can't go back and now I'm a grown up forever.

e, thanks for visiting!

kissyface, so far this year has been pretty good, Ive had some bad things happen, but mostly ive had fun and stayed happy :)

angela, I don't speak german so I'm not sure what you said, but I appreciate the thought! Good to hear from you!

MOM, I too wish I could have met you, hopefully I will be able to meet you sometime in the future!